The Nebraska State Fair Board and Nebraska Farm Bureau will honor four "Ag Families of the Day" at the 2011 Nebraska State Fair. The families will be selected from nominations submitted by fellow Nebraskans.
Agriculture is Nebraska's No. 1 industry. It creates one of every three Nebraska jobs in food processing, distribution, marketing, research and other fields, says Keith Olsen, president of the Nebraska Farm Bureau. "We want to honor families who are the 'faces' of the agricultural industry and showcase the great job they do in providing food for Nebraska, the nation and the world," he adds. "We're looking for families who exemplify best qualities of Nebraska's farmers and ranchers."
You can submit a nomination by going to http://nebraskaagfamily.org/2011agfamily nominationform.pdf to print a form, which can be mailed to: Ag Family, Nebraska State Fair, P.O. Box 1387, Grand Island, NE 68802-1387. Or you can go to http://nebraskaagfamily.org/nominate to submit the form online.
Nomination deadline is June 3.
Honored families will be recognized at the fair on four weekend days--Aug. 27, Aug. 28, Sept. 3 and Sept. 4.
Honorees receive complimentary gate admission, complimentary midway passes, one-night stay in a Grand Island hotel, $100 cash, recognition at an awards program at the fair, reception in their honor, and featured status in the daily parade.
Selection criteria are:
• Honorees will be judged on their contributions to their community, Nebraska and agriculture.
• Farming or ranching must be the primary occupation of the nominees.
• Although this recognition program does not divide the state into geographic regions for purposes of nomination or selection, judges will attempt to select winners geographically distributed across the state.
• Judges will also attempt to select winners whose enterprises represent the diversity of agriculture across the state.
• Judging panel will include representatives from Farm Bureau, State Fair Board, State Fair staff and State Fair 1868 Foundation Board.
• Farm Bureau membership is not a criterion for selection.
• Nominated families may be a single generation or multiple generations.
The State Fair Ag Family of the Day program was begun in 2007. In December 2007, the International Association of Fairs and Expositions honored it as the Best New Agricultural Program of all state fairs in Nebraska's attendance size category.
2010 Ag Family honorees were the Andy and Tannie Daniels Family, Daniels' Produce, Columbus; the Steven and Jeffrey Wallinger Families, Wallinger Farms, Stuart; the Mark R. Spurgin Family, Spurgin, Inc., Paxton; the LeRoy Pieper Family, Mitchell; and the Clifford and David Obbink Families, Prairieland Dairy, Firth.